One of the best exercises you can do to strengthen your body and lose belly fat is squats. You may be wondering what squats have to do with losing fat around your belly. Well it turns out that performing compound exercises vs. single-muscle exercises burn more calories and as a result will burn more fat.
Why Squats Burn Belly Fat
You may think of your leg as only having a few muscles but it has over 15. Squats work 9 muscles and here's a secret: one of those 9 muscles is your abs. So you can see it's crucial to work your legs and the squat is an excellent starting exercise move. If you're doing squats you'll burn more calories and achieve your flat belly faster. If you ignore your legs it will take you probably twice as long to achieve a flat belly. It's that serious.
Research has shown that in addition to burning more calories squats will: improve your overall body strength, balance, endurance, flexibility, and your speed. Squats work your glutes (butt), quads, hamstrings, erector spinae (back muscle), Transverse abdominus (part of your abs) Gluteus mediums/minimus (hip abductors), adductors, Soleus (part of calf), and Gastrocnemius (calf). A lot of work is going on in each movement, which is why this is such a great exercise.
How To Perform Squats
So let me tell you how to perform a squat properly. First perform it without any weights until you get the form perfect. Then you can add dumbbells to increase the intensity.
- Stand shoulder length apart.
- Move your hips back & bend your knees and hips
- Lower yourself until your knee & hips are parallel to the floor.
- Then push your body up back into the starting position.
Common Mistakes to Avoid:
- Going down too fast: Your squat should be a smooth motion from start to finish, don't rush it down or up.
- Flexing your torso too far forward: If you do this you put unnecessary pressure on your back which could lead to back injuries.
- Knees not aligned with your toes: Make sure your knees are aligned with your toes to avoid injury.
So that's a squat in a nutshell. It's a killer exercise move, especially when you incorporate it into circuit training. It hits a lot of muscle groups which will help you lose belly fat faster so if you needed a reason to try them, now you've got one. What I want you to do right now, is pick your next workout day and make sure you start using squats that day and over the next several weeks you'll start seeing the difference.